Unlike the troubles which come unannounced into your lives, electrical faults are always preceded by some red flags. Watch out for these and you can secure your home against any possibility of an electrical failure. Now, the question is, what exactly are these red flags? Now, an amateur wouldn’t know but the professional electricians know all about it and from them we have brought you the 5 warning signs of an impending electrical fault. So, go through these and the next time any of these signs come knocking at your door, call an emergency electrician and save your safe haven from any possible catastrophe.
1. A recurring burning smell
In case of electrical faults, you can actually smell trouble from a distance. While a mild burning smell doesn’t necessarily call for professional help, if it gets recurring in nature, an emergency electrician should be your go-to person. Now, every electrical wire comes with proper insulation which contains the flow of electricity. But in the case of an electrical leak, this insulation which is usually of plastic or rubber burns and produces this pungent smell that we are talking about. Not only is this toxic smell harmful for your body but a warning sign of a possible electrical fire. So, in case such a smell becomes recurring at your home, pick up your phone, call an electrician and get immediate assistance.
What are the immediate safety measures?
1. If you can pinpoint the outlet from where the burning smell is rising, trip its circuit breaker.
2. Contact an electrician.
3. In case the smell leads to a small fire and you don’t have a fire extinguisher handy, use baking soda.
2. Flickering Lights
Thanks to horror films we all know what flickering lights are. As much as these films would like us to believe it’s not a sign of paranormal activity but any electrician would want you to understand, a sign of poor electrical wiring. Flickering lights, if persisted for a long time, is a sign of abnormal voltage fluctuation which could lead to something really dangerous. So, if the problem persists and this flickering increases with time and spreads to other lights of your house, then immediately contact an emergency electrician for an inspection.
Why does your lights flicker?
1. Loose light bulb:
It can simply be sorted out by removing the bulb and plugging it tightly. But remember to turn off the witch and wait for the bulb to cool down before touching it with your bare hands.
2. Non-compatible dimmers:
In case your LED bulbs are being used along with incompatible dimmers, the flickering of lights could ensue. In this case, simply replace your bulbs or dimmers with compatible ones.
3. Circuit overload:
If flickering occurs immediately after your turn on an electrical appliance, it may be a sign of overload. If the problem persists, seek professional help.
4. Faulty wiring:
If the intensity of flickering increases with time, it might be a sign of faulty wiring. In which case immediately contact an electrician.
3. Minor electrical shocks
Touching an electrical appliance without taking the right precautions can lead to electric shocks but if such shocks are common even when you are following them is definitely a reason why you should contact an electrician. These shocks should not be mistaken for static electricity pops but are a sign of a faulty outlet, appliance or even faulty wiring. When ignored, the intensity of these shocks may rise and can lead to something as severe as house fires.
What to do in case of minor/major electric shock?
1. Immediately separate the person/yourself from the current’s source.
2. In case of a major electrical shock, immediately call 000.
3. In case of an electrical burn, wash the burnt area with water and cover it with a sterile gauze bandage.
4. Warm Electrical Outlets
Some electrical appliances produce heat while in motion but when your electrical outlets begin to do so, it is a matter which calls for the help of an emergency electrician. If you notice the outlets in your home constantly getting warm, the immediate step to follow is unplugging all the chords and getting professional help. While it could be because of a damaged outlet, it could also be a sign of something more severe like faulty wiring, overloading or excessive electrical flow.
How to deal with hot electrical outlets?
1. Turn off the circuit breaker.
2. Unplug everything from that outlet
3. Contact your local electrician and alert the fire department in case the situation worsens and sparking or fire ensues.
5. Constant electrical surges
While electrical surges are quite common, if it becomes frequent, it could be a matter of grave concern. Electrical surges could be a result of many things including faulty wiring, damaged appliances, tripped circuit breakers and even something external like a lightning strike. But if the
problem persists, becomes more frequent with time and seems to be resulting from an internal fault that you couldn’t decipher, it’s advised to seek professional help. While such surges are not usually harmful, it is safe to get an inspection to ensure it doesn’t lead to any mishappenings in the future.
What to do in case of electrical surges?
1. If the electrical surge is a result of a lightning strike, unplug all electrical appliances. 2. If you think the electrical surge is because of overloading, try unplugging extension cords and some devices.
3. One prominent internal reason for frequent power surges is faulty wiring.
So, these were the five warning signs of electrical failure which should never be taken lightly. You can never be too safe when it comes to electricity. So, keep a lookout for these signs and if any such problem ensues, make sure to contact seek professional help from a certified electrician and insure your family against any mishappenings.